Redox Flow Battery
Redox flow batteries are rechargeable batteries that are charged and discharged by means of the oxidation-reduction reaction of ions of vanadium or the like. They have excellent characteristics: a long service life with almost no degradation of electrodes and electrolytes, high safety due to being free of combustible materials, and availability of operation under normal temperatures. These make the batteries ideal for use in power grid systems. Redox flow batteries are thus expected to serve as a technology to stabilize the power grids that will be needed to expand the introduction of renewable energy including solar and wind power.
- Long service life : Our redox flow batteries have a system endurance period of 20 years (as calculated based on our design), with an unlimited number of charge-discharge cycles available without degradation. In addition, the electrolytes can be used semipermanently.
- Versatility : With the output and the capacity of a battery capable of being designed independently of each other, our redox flow batteries allow flexible design. In addition, the batteries allow a single system to address both short and long periods of output variation, enabling cost effective power generation.
- High safety : Capable of operating under normal temperatures and composed of non-combustible or flame-retardant materials, the possibility of a fire with the batteries is extremely low. As the state of charge is monitored accurately, the batteries secure maximum safety in system operations.
Product types and specifications
- For electric power companies : Bearing part of the regulating reserve for thermal and hydroelectric power generation, the batteries contribute to the handling of dump power and frequency regulation.
- For renewable energy producers : Unstable weather-dependent power is turned into stable power and linked to power grids.
- For power retailers : Ancillary services are provided in response to demand from system operators.
- For consumers : Various battery-based services, including efficient power use and stable power supply, are provided.